How to be a good sports journalist? The first recommendation is not to act as a fan. The fan with a microphone is one of the elements that affects sports journalism, but it is not the only one. The journalistic rigor, the honesty in the office and the journalist’s desire for service are also important in this area for his good performance.
Here are few tips for the sports journalist,
1. Sports journalism is also journalism. Your role is to inform, as in any other area of this trade. Here we apply the same general rules of journalistic rigor, ethics, honesty, balance, contrast, confirmation.
2. The journalist should not be a fan. The journalist swells does not report, sentence. Do not analyze, insult. Do not comment, azuza. He does not reason, he just feels. Do not criticize, hate. The fan supports his team, rejoices when he wins and suffers loses; This passion prevents the journalist from giving a good service to his audience.
3. Tell stories. Hard information (hiring, injuries, results, etc.) is important, but it is an occasional and fast process. History, the story, is what most appeals to the public and, in general, what can be most useful.
4. The rumor is not news. In sports journalism, it is common for journalists to spread rumors, especially when it comes to possible hiring. Be careful, behind there may be commercial interests or just false information. In any case, spreading unconfirmed information affects your credibility.
5. Remember: it’s just a game. Sport is entertainment and losing or winning a team does not mean that the world is over or heaven is reached.
6. Do not be naive: this is more than a game. In addition to being a game, sport is a business that has interests behind. And where there is money. The duty of a journalist is to discover the dirt in any activity, even in sports. But not everything is bad, because in addition to being a simple game that offers satisfactions and joys, the sport is an opportunity to spread values , principles, ethical behaviors, etc.
7. Do not bitter your public nor do you believe false expectations. Inform, but remember that you must be with your audience, respect their sadness, not crush their feelings or become part of a court of the inquisition against anyone. Making your audience feel that your team will win the tournament will only result in disappointment if that does not happen.
8. You are neither referee nor coach. The journalist should not judge, but inform. Many times it is enough to show something so that the public “draw their own conclusions”. You do not need to think for your audience, he can do it alone.